…And just like that, we’ve surpassed over 100 days of lockdown in the wake of COVID-19. Right now, many of us are feeling the pinch. This is especially true for those who have been retrenched or taken pay cuts during this period. It’s a tough time for a lot of people, which is why we all need to find ways to do more with less.
If you’re interested in a few life hacks that’ll help save you money, keep reading. We’ve got ten to share below.
1. Switch to water instead of expensive beveragesRather than buying bottled water or cans of cool drink, sticking to good-old H20 can save you a lot of money. Not only is this good for your pocket but it can also benefit your health through greater hydration. Keeping a bottle with you will help you drink enough water each day and it’ll also prevent you from being tempted to purchase something else. If need be, get a water filter, it will be an investment to start off with but will soon pay itself off once you see what you’re saving on not buying those cool drinks.
2. Make a couple of swapsThere will be a few items you rely on that could be substituted for cheaper options. Buy the store brand of a product and give it a try. Stick to the ones that meet your needs. For those who are running their business from home during this time, why not buy alternative cartridges like The Inky Shop’s high-quality, affordable ones? These are far more cost-effective than original cartridges, and come with a 100% money-back guarantee! The most cost-effective way to print is by refilling your cartridges. The Inky Shop offers a vacuum technology inkjet refill service at selected stores.
3. Say no to food delivery servicesYes, this can be tough to do but it’s possible. The amount we spend on these orders including delivery and tip can be pretty frightening. Instead, why not plan your meals in advance and commit to cooking for the family? This could be used as bonding time for the family or as an opportunity to learn new recipes.
4. Shop only with a grocery list or better yet, shop onlineThis will help limit those unnecessary items that sneak their way into your trolley and add up to a few hundred rands. By getting only what you need, you’ll waste less food as well, something we could all improve on. Take a look at specials both in-store and online to see what you can grab on special.
5. Batch cook for your freezerSaving money and getting a night off from cooking… where do we sign up? When preparing meals, double the quantity and freeze what’s leftover. That way, dinner is only a defrost away.
6. Chat to your insurance broker
Pull out a summary of your current cover and get quotes from new providers. Once those are in, call your current broker and let them know you’ve been shopping around. They might just match the cheaper premiums, saving you money in the process. Hey, if you don’t ask, you don’t get.
7. Don’t underestimate discount codes and reward programmes
If there’s a website you like to shop on, why not wish list your items and wait for a discount code? More often than not, these pop up and give you a decent saving. If you haven’t yet signed up for their loyalty programmes, why not create a new Gmail account used specifically for online shopping? This will prevent the amount of spam you get in your general mail folder. Do be sure to check these regularly so that you don’t miss out on any specials. Did you know that you can sign up to The Inky Shop's newsletter and be first in line to learn about promotions and discounts, as well as other useful information.
8. Buy your non-perishables in bulk
In every home, there are items that you just can’t seem to buy enough of. Why not purchase these in bulk or opt for bigger pack sizes to cut down on the costs of small packs? If it’s something that can’t expire, you’re bound to use it, so why not make life and shopping trips easier by stocking up on things like washing powder, soap and toilet paper twice a year instead of a few times a month?
9. Make your own household cleaner
A home-made, all-purpose cleaner is easy to make, cleans anything, and is a fraction of the cost of store-bought counterparts.
Combine equal parts of water and white vinegar into a clean empty jar, add a few pieces of lemon rind and sprigs of rosemary (if you have) and shake well. Let it infuse for a week, then use your sieve to strain the liquid into an empty spray bottle. You can use the fresh-scented, natural solution to wipe surfaces, clean windows, clean trash cans, wipe away wall smudges, and much more.
10. Use the library as your go-to for books and movies
If you live near a half-decent local library, don't overlook how much you can save on entertainment from taking out books and movies there. You may not get the latest releases, but watching or reading the classics is just as enjoyable.
We’re open and ready to help you save on your printing costs!
Whether you would prefer to visit us in-store or shop online, we can help you stock up on everything you need for your home/office printing. To get started, please click here: https://inkyshop.co.za/collections/all
Want to visit your closest Inky Shop? Use our store locator: https://inkyshop.co.za/pages/store-locator Please be assured that our team are following strict hygiene protocols for your safety and theirs. To stay in the loop with our tips and even more special offers, follow us on our social media accounts.